Pages

Thursday, September 13, 2012

From Haiti with Love

My wonderful friend Alyssa and I went to Haiti in March of 2011. While its been over a year my heart is still planted there. I just wanted to share some of my pictures and some of these experiences we had there.
 Alyssa has a huge heart, and I love her dearly. It was her idea to go to Haiti, and I am so glad she asked me to go with her. She has the most incredible faith, and is one of the most amazing people I know. (She is due to have Illiana her daughter, my niece, any day now eeekkk!!!!!!) 
 This is a Tap-tap. Its basically a moving truck with benches so we could all sit inside.

 This is the collapsed presidential palace and some ruble left after the earthquake. Across the street was a huge tent city.
 Street vendors selling their art
 A church that was practically demolished after the quake. 

 This is part of the home of the Doctor that we stayed with. He and his established the Bethel Guest house that houses thousands of missionaries every year.
 This is the storage for the baby food in the bottom of the orphanage that is on called the Cretch. This means cradle in creole. The orphanage is on the same grounds as the guest house. We actually brought in suitcases full of supplies. We brought everything from school supplies to peanut butter.




 As you can see there were so many children at this orphanage. All the girls had been adopted, but it takes years to get them to their fmailies. We had the opportunity to play with them and love on them. They even taught me some french! 
We had the opportunity to help prepare the foundation for a house that the Baptist Mission there was about to build. This site was on the side of a mountain, and required lots of labor to prepare. They gave me a pick axe. Seriously. God must have been watching over me, because I still have two feet. 




 These pictures are from a village on a salt lake way outside of Port of Prince. We prayed over all the huts, and gave a huge bag of rice to each family. We even got to do a small medical clinic. Things like fever reducers and anti bacterial ointment are extremely hard to get. This clinic really helped with illnesses that could kill if they are left untreated like fevers.
 This is part of our team. Unfortunately I cant find the whole group shot. This was one amazing group of people. We each came from different parts of the country, and I definitely had a small southern accent when I returned ;) I learned so much from them, and realized just how amazing our God is. He could not have given me a better group of people to work with. I miss them very much. 





I could go on and on and on about Haiti for DAYS. I have so many great stories, and warm memories. God was touching lives everywhere we went including my own. I cant wait to go back! If you want to go on a mission trip, donate, or find other ways to help go to the websites below. Both of these organizations are near and dear to my heart. They make a difference in the lives of these children everyday, and most of all they lead these kids to Jesus Christ.

MyLifeSpeaks
A Door To Hope

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful blessing to be reminded of how Great God is at the times when we open our lives & heart to His purpose! Thank you, my dear sister in Christ for serving as a missionary in Haiti. So, glad you & Alyssa had this opportunity to serve and make a difference in the Kingdom of God. Continue to keep the faith. Lots of Love, Mums Cindy :). Ahe hee

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!